Social Networking

Viv McWaters viv at thereef.com.au
Mon Mar 30 13:59:36 PDT 2009

HI agin

I'm going to buy in again. Full disclosure - I do tweet, and I blog,
and I'm on Facebook, linked in etc. I also use emails, the telephone
AND I'm quite partial to long and deep conversations over a bottle of
red wine r other 'spiritual' guidance as Brian calls it.

I attended the WOSonOS in Vancouver, must have been about 2001. There
I met lots of great people, even made a few new friends. Then we
hosted another WOsonOS her in Melbourne (the venue was sadly burnt
down during the recent bushfires in Marysville). Again I was able to
meet some cool peole and deepen some friendships. I also managed to
get to Goa and last year to San Francisco. I'm lucky that I can
afford, sometimes, to go to these events and to meet up face-to-face
(and believe me it is expensive to travel from Australia, especially
with the exchange rate etc) But I do it because I love being with OST
people who are willing to engage in deep conversations, where I can
learn, and feel that maybe I contribute something too. BUt I can't
afford to do it all the time. So social media (blogging, tweeting,
skype etc) helps me maintain the connection in a way that suits me a
lot better than just email. I have semi-regular skype chats with three
mates - one who lives in Airey's Inlet about 20 km from me, one who
lives in London, and one who lives in Canada. I cherish these times to
connect and chew over ideas with people I really do know, but can't
get to see except maybe every few years. I 'meet' new people, learn of
new ideas. Sure, I skim - I have to otherwise I'd drown in
information. And I go deep when needed. A bit like snorkelling in our
wonderful Pt Addis Marine National Park which is on my doorstep - I
skim along the surface till I see something that takes my interest and
then I take a closer look.

Cheers

Viv

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Ralph Copleman <rcopleman at comcast.net> wrote:
> I signed up for a Twitter account, but apparently I have no need to tweet,
> so I'm not sure why I did it.  The very sound of the word, in English
> anyway,  is enough of a clue to me about the quality of the connection,
> though I suppose there will always be a place in our lives for the small
> comings and goings.
> Facebook.  Signed up there, too.  I check it about every second or third
> day.  I keep waiting for something to happen, something worth sinking teeth
> into.  Even if I say something I hope might result in richer dialogue,
> little of lasting import transpires.  But I must say I like it.  It's easy,
> and some folks I love whom I don't see regularly do post messages there.
>  Have heard from two old college chums, too, but I cannot say we are
> "re-connected" in any richer sense.  Linkedin.  Plaxo.  Forget them.  All I
> ever get are invitations to "connect" to people.  Nothing else.  No dialogue
> at all.  None.  I suppose I could derive benefit from them if I "worked"
> them, but I don't feel the need.
> Live and let live is my motto, and in my case, intimacy is what I crave, not
> more ways to skip along your surface.  Want me to "follow" you?  Write me
> something about what's really going on with you, and ask questions.  Send it
> to me.  I'll answer.  Want to follow me?  Well, ask me what you want to
> know.  And I'll ask you questions, too.  I'm not sure I want to bother the
> world with what I have for breakfast each day.  I understand some
> fame-soaked celebrities have people who ghost-write their tweets.
> Face-to-face.  Telephone conversation.  Letters and e-mail.  Listserves.
>  Everything else.  In that order.  The farther I go down the list, the less
> I experience any space being held by anyone, for anyone.  And here's a quote
> that came to mind for me.  Seems connected to this, sort of.
> "…the more sensitive and profound are your answers, the more effective the
> results."
> –– Peter Koestenbaum
> I'm off to deal with the growing backlash against the need to do a little
> something about global warming.  Who ARE these people!?
> Ralph Copleman

> unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

Viv McWaters
Beyond the Edge Pty Ltd
PO Box 665 Torquay Victoria 3228