Social Networking

Karen Sella karen at luminacoaching.com
Mon Mar 30 12:02:01 PDT 2009

A few more musings about Twitter, Facebook, and the like.

Like some of you who have shared here, I haven't caught the Twitter-bug yet,
but know colleagues and friends who appreciate the medium-for entertainment,
marketing, networking, etc.  Of course, I'm typically, though not always, a
late adopter of new technology-curious but not enough to spend much time
exploring new tech applications until they become blatantly useful or
requisite for the work/play at hand-and even then, I'm rarely invested
enough in the mediums to optimize their usefulness, as anyone who has
visited my blog will no doubt note [sheepish grin].  Having a college-age
sibling eighteen years my junior inspired early adoption of instant
messaging and Facebook-mostly as a way to get to know her in her preferred
communication modes (although we did have to adopt a few of my own
old-fashioned communication norms-no divided attention-i.e. no communicating
with me while doing other things-like instant messaging two other friends
while checking email while talking on the phone while writing a term paper
while instant messaging me [grin]).  These relatively superficial points of
contact cumulatively create enough comfort and currency between us-by
currency, I mean knowing enough about each other's current experience of
existence to care to connect with each other-to inspire more meaningful
connections in phone calls and face-to-face interactions.

Though definitely no substitute, these virtual exchanges support a more
meaningful visceral relationship with my sister and many other colleagues,
friends, and family who've decided to connect in this way too.  I still
consider my participation there a social networking experiment, but one that
I have found to be quite useful for keeping in touch with various friends
and family all over the world and from different time periods in my life.
Actually, because of my global upbringing, it's the first time ever that all
of my contacts can show up in one place aside from a battered address book
[grin].

On another level, I sometimes wonder if Twitter tweets (and Facebook status
updates to some extent) aren't somehow the collective chatter of the "monkey
mind" of consciousness. all the individual internal chatter-or at least some
of it-made visible to a broader collective-and like individuals chasing
these psychological monkeys, so do crowds. just wondering.  I say this not
to dismiss the value of the content shared there.  There are some real
insightful gems and pointers within the virtual chatter.  Some people
probably benefit from putting their thoughts "out there," whether sublime or
inane, and others benefit from following these thoughts.  Like all forms of
communication, I imagine some people use Twitter and Facebook, and all the
myriad forms of social networking to contribute to the collective meaning of
existence.  Others I imagine are merely there to "twitillate" and be
"twitillated" as yet another meaningless distraction.  Somehow, following
"friends" on Twitter or Facebook seems like a step up the evolutionary
ladder of distraction from following "Friends" on TV.  Plus, as someone who
likes her quiet, I appreciate that there's a quieter way for folks who want
to be in constant contact to do so-people who chatter away on the
cell-phones in public challenge my compassion:-).

Thanks for opening space for me to wonder aloud. I appreciate learning here
with you:-).

Warmly,

Karen

Karen Sella

Coaching:  www.luminacoaching.com

Consulting:  www.integralventures.com

Blog: www.lumina.typepad.com

Phone: 1.206.780.2998

Skype: karensella

lumina fr. L. light, air, opening...

The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential
and protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you think
that you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by
reply and delete the message and any attachments.

  _____