Social Networking

Cathy Carmody carmodyc at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 30 06:54:30 PDT 2009

Dear Ralph:

I must say that I don't write very often on this listserve - yet am a
constant silent reader of all the wonderful writings of others.
Every once in a while, however, something is said that makes me
really sit up and pay attention.  Your e-mail this morning was one!
I agree totally with your observations.  In my model of the world,
people are literally dying for want of real, authentic contact - with
those who are willing to engage.  The rash of 'networking' over the
past few years seems to have been driven almost totally by the need
for 'business' contacts, without authentic regard or curiosity for or
about the people with whom one is 'networking'.  The tweeting
business really takes things down to a lowest common denominator
level, and while as you say may be useful for some, it sort of
represents, for me, a further deterioration of the depth of human
contact for which I believe most people are craving.

In my world, I continue to keep moving forward, opening more and more
space for face to face authentic contact within which I can  'share
the truth of my experience', and be continually curious about that
which is outside of me -  instead of continually judging what I
believe others are saying or what they might mean.

Thanks so much for this posting!
By the way, what else haven't you said or asked,  that if said/asked,
has the potential to make a huge difference in my life and the lives
of many others?
Just curious!

Sincerely
Cathy Carmody