Social Networking

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Mon Mar 30 06:02:20 PDT 2009

I signed up for a Twitter account, but apparently I have no need to
tweet, so I'm not sure why I did it.  The very sound of the word, in
English anyway,  is enough of a clue to me about the quality of the
connection, though I suppose there will always be a place in our lives
for the small comings and goings.

Facebook.  Signed up there, too.  I check it about every second or
third day.  I keep waiting for something to happen, something worth
sinking teeth into.  Even if I say something I hope might result in
richer dialogue, little of lasting import transpires.  But I must say
I like it.  It's easy, and some folks I love whom I don't see
regularly do post messages there.  Have heard from two old college
chums, too, but I cannot say we are "re-connected" in any richer
sense.  Linkedin.  Plaxo.  Forget them.  All I ever get are
invitations to "connect" to people.  Nothing else.  No dialogue at
all.  None.  I suppose I could derive benefit from them if I "worked"
them, but I don't feel the need.

Live and let live is my motto, and in my case, intimacy is what I
crave, not more ways to skip along your surface.  Want me to "follow"
you?  Write me something about what's really going on with you, and
ask questions.  Send it to me.  I'll answer.  Want to follow me?
Well, ask me what you want to know.  And I'll ask you questions, too.
I'm not sure I want to bother the world with what I have for breakfast
each day.  I understand some fame-soaked celebrities have people who
ghost-write their tweets.

Face-to-face.  Telephone conversation.  Letters and e-mail.
Listserves.  Everything else.  In that order.  The farther I go down
the list, the less I experience any space being held by anyone, for
anyone.  And here's a quote that came to mind for me.  Seems connected
to this, sort of.

"…the more sensitive and profound are your answers, the more effective
the results."
										–– Peter Koestenbaum

I'm off to deal with the growing backlash against the need to do a
little something about global warming.  Who ARE these people!?

Ralph Copleman