Social Networking

Holger Nauheimer (Change Facilitation) holger at CHANGE-FACILITATION.ORG
Mon Mar 30 07:20:13 PDT 2009

Dear Ralph and Cathy,

last week, I found the following quote which made me think a lot:

"Can we just quit judging every new mode of communication that comes along
and finding it wanting in comparison to the last one? Haven’t we been doing
that for millenia? Don’t we always look back later and feel kind of silly?"
Nancy Baym at
http://www.onlinefandom.com/archives/blogs-vs-twitter-its-the-interactivity/

It is not either or. What I have learned from the younger generation (I am
51) is that they just take the Web as a given. They are not more excited
about it than other things of life. They just use it. And most of them would
never substitute a personal encounter for a keyboard. People don't kiss each
other less because of the Internet.

We (the people who love to add another spice to life by using the Web) are
still meeting each other and look into each other eyes, embracing each
other, laugh and cry together. We know that online communication has severe
limitations. I prefer to facilitate a live OST to any kind of work that I do.

We believe a better world is possible if we use all kinds of methods to get
closer and live our passion. We are confident that citizen participation
will grow not by better technologies but a higher awareness that this world
can only be good when we enter into dialogue, no matter what race or
religion or political affiliation. The social communties on the Web help in
this respect but they are just another tool (which isn't good or bad).