What are the benefits of a national OS-Institute?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri Mar 6 07:17:37 PST 2009

The value of an OS Institute is to provide a focal point, online and in
time/space for people who care about Open Space, want to learn more, and to
share what they have learned. I think it is fair to say that over the years,
the  several Institutes (USA, Canada, Oz, Sweden, and any others I may have
forgotten :-() have fulfilled this role with excellence. So why would you
want such a thing? It's productive and fun.  And it doesn't have to be a
whole mess of work - but of course you can work just as hard as you would
like too.

The first Institute actually happened in Canada when I was having coffee
with three or four Canadian friends, (Larry Peterson for one) and we were
sort of playing with the idea of "what next?" There was a fair amount of
space being opened and it seemed reasonable to offer a focal point for those
who were doing that. I suggested that they might want to create an
institute. They looked at me in some shock, assuming it would be a
hellacious amount of work. I think Larry asked the pertinent question - How
do we do that?  I said - Just say you've done it! As near as I can figure
out, you can have an Institute any time you say you have one. Of course it
could be officially registered, and have all the bells and whistles - but I
wouldn't do that unless there is some real reason to do it. That reason
might be that you want to have a tax exempt organization to receive funds
and do projects - which is why the US/OSI is a 501-C3. But you don't have
to.

Real point is - if you are not having fun, Don't do it. And if you find that
you are spending a lot of time and effort organizing stuff you are really in
trouble. Self-organization REALLY DOES WORK! So how do you create an
Institute? Simple. Send out an invitation to anybody who might care, sit in
a circle, create a bulletin board, open a market place and Viola! Institute.
Of course if nobody comes - you can have all the cookies and coffee for
yourself. Have fun!

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html