SV: [OSLIST] What are the benefits of a national OS-Institute?

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Fri Mar 6 02:29:19 PST 2009

Dear Catherine, dear friends in Open Space

Here in Sweden we started our OSI Sweden in 2001 as a registered NGO. We
opened an account in order to handle finances during the International
OSonOS 2003 which some of you remember was in “Swenmark” co-hosted with our
Danish collegues. I think it can be quite simple (so that’s one advice -
KeepItSimple – we have online board meetings when we cannot travel to meet –
but that might not be a problem for you ;-) well you have lots of mountains
so maybe travel is difficult although not so great distances...

It is totally up to the members, as a board we try to create and hold space
- sometimes there is no activity and sometimes there is lots – such as last
November when we arranged the Wave Rider happening...now it’s a bit silent
again but all of the sudden something might pop up. We do plan a to invite
for a gathering for members and others interested in OS, soon.

When having gatherings and arranging activities I’ve found it good to be
able to use OSI instead of someone of us taking the finances through our
company. It is also a good way to build community and keep the openness of
OS by always being open to anyone who is interested to learn more. I
remember we had some fears years ago that someone else might take the name
OSI Sweden and close the space so not everyone could participate ...

I cheer you on, welcome you to the OSI-family and wish you good luck

Thomas Herrmann, cashier in OSI Sweden

  _____