Wave Riders in WEST AUSTRALIA, TUESDAY JULY 21, 2009, 9am-400pm

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Wed Jun 10 19:51:35 PDT 2009

Hi folks - here's what we're doing to keep the riding the waves in my
neck of the woods....
All welcome - perhaps one day the time may be right for Harrison to join us!

cheers brendan
from a wet and wintery Perth - the rain is very welcome and much needed!
(converted to plain text)

Hi Wave Riding Practitioners in WA

THE INVITATION
After our successful introductory Wave Riders' Gathering on April
1st, we're enthusiastic about creating space for the continuing
stories of practice to be shared....
We will seek to ride the waves of complexity and chaos, emergent
design, opening space for self-organisation, creating and supporting
high performance and (in)spirited organisations...we are about:

'Leadership for High Performance in a Self-Organising World'

We invite you to join us in sharing the wisdom we've gained through
our local network of 'Wave Riding' facilitators, consultants and
practitioners - here in the West - and,
on this occasion, from the East!

Our next meeting, flowing from our theme, will focus on the type of
leadership that enables the creation and nurturing of self-organising systems.
We will once again have a couple of real-life stories to expand our
knowledge and focus our attention in the morning and then open space
in the afternoon to generate new learnings and insights for ourselves
and for our practice.

In this Gathering, we will feature the stories of two Directors of
small-businesses, each with a different experiences....Michael Prince
from The Winding Staircase in Perth,
an intentional self-organising business that has been growing out of
the vision of Michael and co-director Kim Lisson, followed by the
story of Miriam Joy from Be Learning,a
Sydney-based consulting company that has recently used Open Space to
address some very significant and confronting issues within their organisation.

EVENT INFORMATION

GATHERING 2: Tuesday July 21
AIM-UWA Alliance, UWA Business School - southern end of the UWA
campus Hackett Entry 4 - map attached.

1       900-1000am      "Introduction to Wave Riding"
An overview of Harrison Owen's latest book upon which our theme is
based. We will introduce ourselves to
the main areas of Harrison's work and share our own current
interpretations, understandings and experiences.
Brendan will provide a framework for this session.

2       1030-1230pm     "Contemporary Australian Stories"

Wisdom From the West: Michael Prince and The Winding Staircase Story
(www.windingstaircase.com.au)
Michael writes: The Winding Staircase, a collaborative venture, with
a growing and flexible team of associates,
offering coaching, coach training, facilitation and leadership
development to organisations, has been evolving since 2001.
Our current strategic intention is to: 'evoke and enable leadership
for sustainability': sustainable relationships with self, others
and the natural environment.  From the start we took a deliberate
'coaching approach' to how we worked with our clients and each other:
valuing relationships highly, wanting to work in a way that enabled
and honoured each other's collective and individual passions (spirit).
Along the way, from our experience of Open Space thinking and
practise we began to play with "what might it mean to be
an Open Space type organisation". This ongoing exploration of being
an evolving, adaptive "organism", rather than an 'organisation',
continues to be a journey of unlearning (the many ways we remain
deeply 'imprinted' with 'mechanistic' leadership models) AND
discovering more 'life-giving' ways to work and live together.

                                 and

Wisdom From the East: Miriam Joy and the Be Learning Story
(<http://www.belearning.com.au>www.belearning.com.au)
"Self Organising Principle in Action"
Miriam writes: Be Learning is committed to exploring self organising
principles and practices in our own development as a company
and as an offering to our clients.  We are at the beginning stages of
this journey. There is enthusiasm and courage in this exploration.
There is confusion and divergence of opinion on the success of the
practice so far. While this is uncomfortable, we know it to be a state
full of potential and indeed an essential stage on any journey. Our
purpose in sharing our story at this gathering is to contribute and learn
through presenting the tensions we have experienced and questions
that are unfolding in our exploration of self organising principles in our
business and with our clients.

3       100-400pm       Open Space

COST:   $55 (inc gst) to cover morning tea and catered lunch
(including vegetarian)
                 You are welcome to self-organise your own tea/coffee
for arrival...

RSVP:   Please let us know if you intend coming - email reply to one
of us (below) by FRIDAY JULY 10
         Pay cash/chq on the day or by EFT to (Brendan McKeague)
         BSB: 066-179     Account Number 10335192     REF: WaveR + name
         Tax Invoices/receipts issued on the day if required

We acknowledge and appreciate the support of the AIM-UWA Alliance in
providing us with a venue for this gathering.

Hoping to see you there

Cheers
Brendan                 mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Maarten van der Wall            maarten51 at optusnet.com.au