helping the whole

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Thu Jun 11 20:04:22 PDT 2009

Hi--

Another evocative piece from Christopher Alexander:

It is their presence in the whole, and the fact that they are helping
the life of the whole, which gives them their individual life....Italics
in original. Christopher Alexander, The Nature of Order: An Essay on the
Art of Building and The Nature of the Universe, Book One: The Phenomenon
of Life, p 431

What I am seeing here as an inside-out truth, is that in a group we do
not lend the group our individual life, it goes somewhat the other way
round about. What gives us our individual existence and life is our
presence in the group, our helping of the group; in turn the others
helping the group give us life. We intensify each other.

Can this be true?

:- Doug.