Creation

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 06:54:25 PST 2009

If we say we live in a self-organizing universe, and if we also say
there is no such thing as a non-self-organizing system, then where
does that leave us with regard to the biblical creation story of the
original seven days -- which seems to lay down holy word that it is
possible create a comprehensive order out of nothing?

It's irrelevant that the biblical story may or may not be literally
true.  We must recognize the impact this version of creation has had
on our collective consciousness in the West, if not all over the
world.  This model of order-out-of-chaos dominates most, if not all
our modern institutions.  It lays the framework for how we see the
world and how we seek to relate to it, its systems, and itc
challenges.  It's the pattern for government, business, education,
community development, religion, etc.  It even dictates how we shall
relate to Earth itself.

When we ask people to accept the belief that there is no such thing as
a non-self-organizing system, aren't we saying, "The story we have all
lived by, whether we consciously realize it or not, is wrong,
profoundly inaccurate, and dangerous"?

Ralph