Incentive to participate?

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Wed Aug 26 16:43:31 PDT 2009

John-

I want to build on what you've said.

You asked who are the people doing the inviting?  You reminded me of
how key invitation is.  The quality of invitation that matters.  Are
the people who are hosting in conversation with the people they are
inviting?  Are the inviters making the invitation from their own place
of passion and commitment?  Is the invitation being sent in a
welcoming way, something that communicates with more than just
words?   Hopefully you get the drift.

In that context, to me, decisions become part of creating a welcoming
space.  If it is done as a bribe, it isn't useful.  If done as good
hosts, then go for it.

my two cents,
Peggy

P.S.  To Justin's question on work related OS's outside of work
hours.  I have done a few that started during work hours and continued
into the weekend.  Sometimes it is because of schedules for workers
who can't participate otherwise.  Some organizations have paid
overtime as an acknowledgement of the request to come during personal
time.  (Not as a bribe but out of respect.)

______________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.opencirclecompany.com
www.journalismthatmatters.org

For the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get
burnt, is to become
the fire".
   -- Drew Dellinger