Incentive to participate?

John Engle john at haitipartners.org
Wed Aug 26 14:57:53 PDT 2009

Great question, David. I agree with Doug, Lisa and Harrison. Offering
things that look like incentives or rewards doesn't seem like a good
idea.

But, a couple questions do come to mind. Who are the people doing the
inviting? As the hosts, is there a particular ambiance that you want
to create? I can imagine a situation where hosts, out of a genuine
appreciation for folks coming, graciously provide some food or drink.
We all know what a hit food and drink is.

So, then my question is, if you decide to provide something in this
spirit, do you want to be transparent and communicate this in the
letter of invitation?

Perhaps i've complicated things. We're constantly dealing with
questions like this in Haiti. Again, I completely agree with not
offering things that look like incentives or rewards for coming.

What do others think?

John

John Engle
Co-Director