leadership development in a self organising world

Michael Wood mjwood at admin.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 22 20:19:27 PDT 2008

Harrison Owen talks about "Authentic Leadership" as the leadership which
emerges out of the self organising system at the conjuction of passion
and responsibility.

Then there's "Formal Leadership" related to specified roles in
organisations. Formal leadership may exhibit the character of authentic
leadership and can either encourage or hinder the emergence of authentic
leadership in the system.

So - what the implications of this for the way we do "Leadership
training and development", particularly within those larger
organisations that often have quite large budgets and staff in special
departments dedicated to this purpose?  What is useful in what we
currently do which we'd want to keep? What would we throw away? What new
or different approaches might we introduce?

Anyone up for a conversation?

Michael Wood
Perth, Western Australia