wondering continued

Martin Boroson marty at becomingme.com
Wed Oct 8 05:06:37 PDT 2008

Thank you all, for deepening my wondering.

I was especially struck by Harrison's comment that capitalism and the market
are not synonymous.  And by those of you who spoke about the listening and
connectivity that emerges in Open Space.

Some continued wonderings, influenced by yours:

a. Perhaps the so-called 'free market' is indeed an Open Space, just much
much bigger than any Open Space that any of us has facilitated.  And without
a clear beginning or end, it's taking us a long time to experience the
connectivity and sense of responsibility that happens relatively quickly in
a more defined Open Space.

b.  Maybe the thing that invokes connectivity in an Open Space is the
presence of a question or theme.  In an Open Space, we all gather together
with a shared concern or intention, and I suspect that this certainly tilts
the odds toward some kind of climax or resolution, and to experiencing some
sense of connectivity through common discovery.  The 'free market', by
contrast, has the freedom of Open Space but not the shared intention.

c.  Putting (a) and (b) together:  Maybe the free market is actually an
enormous Open Space, but we just don't know what the question is yet.
Maybe, because this enormous Open Space has no clear starting point or
ending point, it is taking us a long time to hear one another and realize
that we are all connected, and that we really do have a common question.
Maybe we are just starting to discern the underlying question that called us
to participate in this enormous Open Space.  Maybe that question is:  How
can we share resources equitably on this small planet?   Or simply,  How can
'separate selves' live together in peace?  And maybe we are starting to
discern that there might be, after all, a time limit.

Marty