help 50 000 baloons and OS Turkey

Pat Black patoitextiles at gmail.com
Wed May 21 05:07:34 PDT 2008

The issue with latex balloons, which are biodegradable, is how long they sit
around before they are released.  If they are filled properly and released
right away they will soar high enough into the atmosphere to shatter into
very small pieces which will be consumed by microorganisms upon landing.
 The balloons begin oxidizing and degrading as soon as they are filled.  I
imagine it takes quite a bit of time to fill that many balloons and some may
not make it to the proper height for shattering.  I know that mylar balloons
are a big issue for sea life as they do not degrade.  Latex balloons could
present differen t problems but I don't know what they are.PAt Black