help 50 000 baloons and OS Turkey

Diane Brandon diane at keysregion.org
Wed May 21 05:02:49 PDT 2008

Agneta, Thanks for remembering and asking. If you google
balloons kill wildlife
you'll find many articles.

All kinds of rubbish may cause these problems - fishing line, fishing
nets, the plastic holders for 6-packs, etc.

Here are a few links to get you started. It looks like the UK is a
leader in alerting people to this problem.

Good luck with your efforts.

Warm regards,

Diane Brandon
diane at keysregion.org
www.keysregion.org

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/the-environment/green-bits/
tm_headline=balloons-kill-
wildlife&method=full&objectid=17645092&siteid=109975-name_page.html
Balloons kill wildlife
Aug 23 2006 By Evening Gazette
Celebrations should never be the cause of death for wildlife, but
marine animals such as turtles, dolphins, whales and seabirds are
known to have been harmed by balloon pieces and this has led to a new
campaign by the Marine Conservation Society.
Marine Conservation Society (MCS) has found evidence of many marine
species that have died from eating or becoming entangled in balloons
and their string.

www.adoptabeach.org.uk/ pages/page.php?cust_id=43

http://naturenet.net/blogs/index.php/2006/09/17/balloons
MCS are campaigning, with moderate success, for a voluntary and
legislative ban on mass balloon releases. They rightly say "Mass
releases are potent symbols of our wasteful and 'throw away' society".

www.mcsuk.org/downloads/balloons/factsheet.pdf

http://ipl.unm.edu/cwl/statbook/florid.html
The legislature finds that the release of large numbers of balloons
inflated with lighter-than-air gases poses a danger and nuisance to
the environment, particularly to wildlife and marine animals. It is
unlawful to intentionally release within a 24-hour period 10 or more
lighter than air balloons except for meteorological/scientific
government agency balloons, hot air balloons recovered after
launching, balloons released indoors, or balloons which are
biodegradable or photodegradable, as determined by rule of the Marine
Fisheries Commission, and which are closed by a hand-tied knot
without string, ribbon or other attachments. Violation: noncriminal
infraction; fine $250. Persons may petition the circuit court to
enjoin the release of 10 or more balloons within their county (372.995).

http://www.balloonhq.com/faq/deco_releases.html

http://www.basq.org.au/facts/balloons.htm