Open Space 2.0 - Beyond the Dogma

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Sat May 3 20:05:01 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:01 AM, Jack Martin Leith <jack at jackmartinleith.com>
wrote:

> Hiya Harrison.
>
> Happy that you're not offended by our undertaking!
>
> Maybe it's different on your side of the pond, but Paul and I have both,
> separately, noticed the worrying extent to which OS certainly has become a
> dogma over here, sometimes along with the words "Harrison Owen" says. (I
> must put my hand up to having done that many times.) We both feel that OS
> has become somewhat arthritic, and overdue for a rethink.

Open Space Technology is what it is.  Right?  How can it become arthritic?
I am challenged by your suggestion but I hope you don't perceive that I am
challenging you.  I am genuinely puzzled.  I would welcome more of you
thoughts, perhaps some examples of how OS is changing?

How can OS 'become' anything?  It is what it is.

I am wondering if, when you suggest that it is due for a 'rethink', perhaps
you are seeing something else, or striving to see something else. Perhaps
you have a (inchoate?) yearning for, please forgive me, 'better' space at
meetings.

I don't have Harrison's depth of experience opening sepace, but I
wholeheartedly agree with what he says about 'second generation open
space'.  When in doubt, open more space and if opening more space brings me
to a place of doing nothing, well, for me, then I know I'm doing it right.

> What you say is perfectly true, and I agree wholeheartedly ... although
> I'm personaly keen on conversation that precipitates action ... but all too
> often it's very different on the ground.
>
> Big thanks for your support and encouragement. We'll keep you posted.
> Steve the Doc has already signed up for the Skype option.
>
> Very best,
>
> Jack
>
> Jack Martin Leith
> Bristol, United Kingdom
> Mobile: 07831 840541 (+44 7831 840541)
> Skype: jackmartinleith
> Facebook: www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=725422325
> Facebook group on Open Space Technology:
> www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7189220743
> LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jackmartinleith
> email: jack at jackmartinleith.com
> www.jackmartinleith.com
>
> 2008/4/30 Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net>:
>
> >  Sounds like a marvelous under taking, but I am not sure about all this
> > "Dogma" business. Dogma in my lexicon is a whole bunch of stuff that you
> > have to do/believe. My experience with OST is that it is all about thinking
> > of one more thing NOT to do – or believe. The end of the line, or indeed the
> > next iteration, would involve doing nothing at all, and where "belief"
> > translated into pure experience. You were just "there" in that present
> > moment being fully what you (we) already were – full, conscious, passionate,
> > responsible human beings. My experience with most of the 2nd Generation
> > Open Spaces is that they seem to involve more and different doing and
> > believing. To my eyes this seems to be going in the wrong direction. But
> > what do I know?  Have fun!!
> >

> > Harrison
> >

> > Harrison Owen
> >
> > 7808 River Falls Drive
> >
> > Potomac, Maryland   20854
> >
> > Phone 301-365-2093
> >
> > Skype hhowen
> >
> > Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com
> >
> > Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
> >
> > Personal website www.ho-image.com
> >
> > OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
> > archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>

> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

Love rays,
Tree Fitzpatrick

http://thecultureoflove.blogspot.com/

. . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with Augustine,
"I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for
such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation. -- Hannah Arendt

1335 Montecito Ave Apt. 35
Mountain View, California 94043
(650) 967-9260