Creating the book in a second- a need for ideas

Communications Esther Matte ematte at excellence.ca
Wed Mar 26 04:57:48 PDT 2008

Hi Avner,

My personal experience has been with smaller groups (up to 120). But
it may be helpful anyway.

With the Wiki crowd OS I co-facilitated with Deborah Hartman, people,
of course created a wiki. So the book was basically done at the same
time as the discussions were happening. I wouldn't be able to tell
you about the tech stuff, but I'm sure Deb will be happy to answer
any questions.

In a more traditional fashion, what I have learned from Diane
Gibeault is to compile the book at the same time as the reports come in. So :

1. You need a main computer and an assistant at the Newsroom, expert
in word processing, very quick and focused (that person will pretty
much be doing only one thing during the OS : printing the reports and
preparing the Book.)
2. have an electronic document ready at the main Newsroom computer,
with a cover page, list of participants, table for table of contents,
after which you can insert reports
3. people do their reports on the computers, make a copy on a memory
stick, bring it to the Newsroom.
4. print one copy to post, and one copy in a file, creating a paper
book that can be photocopied and distributed later
5. save an electronic copy of each report on the main computer, in a
file created for the OS (for backup)
6. insert the electronic individual reports in the electronic Book
one after the other, copy/pasting the title of the reports and
initiators in the table of contents.
7. at lunch time, photocopy the full report in X number of copies.

With a group of 450, I doubt that you can actually make 450
photocopies of a 100+ pages document during lunch time. But if you
have access on-site or really close to photocopiyng, maybe you can
start the production right after the second round of discussion and
then continue gradually after each round.

It sure is a challenge, and you would need not only a super
assistant, but also a few runners and several really quick photocopy machines.

Hope this helps!

Esther