Creating Space in Construction (long'ish)

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Mar 18 12:34:00 PDT 2008

I always knew Bumble Bees were trouble makers! Buzzing in, out, and off!!!
If you don't like bumblers, I am sure anything else would do so long as it
catches the flavor. As Open Space has wandered from language to language I
am sure that there have been many changes as well.

My original point was simply to acknowledge and honor a set of behaviors(
and the people who exhibit them) that you find in all conferences; however
those behaviors are traditionally frowned upon. Every conference has
somebody who doesn't make it into a session, and they are referred to as
slackers, indolent, and other negative things. As for folks who come and go
- they are a disaster! Both types just ruin The Plan, otherwise known as the
conference design, and their appearance clearly indicates that the
facilitator is not doing his or her job - which is to keep everything under
control!!

What a difference in Open Space! People come when they want, do what they
care to, and everything works! It shouldn't, but it does - and I think that
Bumble Bees and Butterflies (by whatever name) show the way. And of course,
the facilitator takes a nap.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html