Creating Space in Construction (long'ish)

Anne A Hiha anne_a_hiha at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 14:50:28 PDT 2008

Greetings Brendan

You say:
'By the way, 'bumble bees' are an introduced pest here in Australia - they have been declared as 'notifiable' and need to be contained or exterminated.'

This explains why Australian friends who visit me in New Zealand want to murder all the wonderful bumble bees that only want to cross-pollinate my beans and other garden goodies and that don't interfer with our native species because most of our native species are in the bush and are not at all competing.

It also explains why the metaphor of bumble bees resonates with me in my context.  I only have to look into my garden at present to get the butterfly metaphor as well, as many Monarch butterflies hatch and rest in our budlia bush - the non-invasive type.

I have thought a great deal about the metaphors that are used in open space technology and how they connect with my indigenous context, including the medicine wheel, and have come to the conclusions that the key is to keep the underlying concepts that go into encouraging a self-organising process within the framework.

The stories that make those underlying concepts real for the participants will inevitably add to the rich tapestry of open space unfolding.

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:25:56 +0900From: mckeague at iprimus.com.auSubject: Re: Creating Space in Construction (long'ish)To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDUAnd I think it works a lot better when you honor the Bumble Bees and Butterflies who always show up. They are not weird. They are wonderful.True Harrison - and I think I was certainly deflected a bit by the fears of the organisers in response to the previous workshop (especially the tortoise references) which had been declared a disaster - then again, as it led to the Open Space - it was obviously just the right thing to have happened, eh!  That will be a stinging question for the next time I feel such a tension point...By the way, 'bumble bees' are an introduced pest here in Australia - they have been declared as 'notifiable' and need to be contained or exterminated - stealing food supplies from the over 1500 species of native bees....so I'm reliably informed...!  Is there a question about the 'appropriation of metaphors' - the cross-cultural sensitivities that may exist in certain parts of our world...I'm careful to use the term 'Bee' here in Australia - 'Bumble Bees' may trigger a whole other metaphor about European Invasion....and then again, that is a fact of history and part of present reality....CheersA pondering Brendan* * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist