Creating Space in Construction (long'ish)

Brendan McKeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Tue Mar 18 07:25:56 PDT 2008

And I think it works a lot better when you honor the Bumble Bees and
Butterflies who always show up. They are not weird. They are wonderful.

True Harrison - and I think I was certainly deflected a bit by the
fears of the organisers in response to the previous workshop
(especially the tortoise references) which had been declared a
disaster - then again, as it led to the Open Space - it was obviously
just the right thing to have happened, eh!
That will be a stinging question for the next time I feel such a
tension point...

By the way, 'bumble bees' are an introduced pest here in Australia -
they have been declared as 'notifiable' and need to be contained or
exterminated - stealing food supplies from the over 1500 species of
native bees....so I'm reliably informed...!

Is there a question about the 'appropriation of metaphors' - the
cross-cultural sensitivities that may exist in certain parts of our world...
I'm careful to use the term 'Bee' here in Australia - 'Bumble Bees'
may trigger a whole other metaphor about European Invasion....
and then again, that is a fact of history and part of present reality....

Cheers
A pondering Brendan