Convergence or Group Consensus

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Tue Mar 18 09:11:17 PDT 2008

Michael,

I agree with you that we rarely have surprises on priorities the group
proposes after its discussions but I have seen cases where there were. In
most case, the feedback from the leaders I was suggesting when the
priorities are announced, is more to create the safe space before we reopen
space for action..just like the host creates that safe space at the very
beginning of the OS by speaking to the goal, givens if any, leadership's
commitment and encouraging creative thinking. At convergence, this same
message is focused  on confirming the  safe space around the priorities, and
encouraging creative and open thinking again, this time for actions.

I think Harrison our approaches are not different but complementary. I also
have that very serious conversations with the sponsor before the OS is even
considered, ensuring there is openness to go beyond what exists and keeping
givens to a minimum. That's essential in  setting the stage for that safe
space.

Making the safe space apparent again just before the rubber hits the road -
pardon the road metaphor -  I think is helpful.  For participants to hear
that the leadership is fully on board before they start concretely
committing their precious time and energy in real work on the proposed
priorities, is about creating  a safe space.  In many organizations, the
support of the leadership the day after the meeting is not a given. Even if
the leaders have committed to the facilitator, committing publicly to the
entire organization when the collective will has been expressed openly on
priorities, increases significantly that building of trust and the chances
of that support happening.

To sum it up, I feel the words safe, trust and commitment reflect more the
intent of this leadership statement at convergence than control. How it is
done matters a lot, that's for sure and that's where again the facilitator
can prepare leaders as to their message approach.

Diane