Convergence or Group Consensus

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Mar 14 11:17:48 PDT 2008

not much to add to this, marty.  i don't think i can recall a single
situation where the group ran off with control of the organization, went off
and cashed a big blank check.  the open space does not wipe out all past
conversations, current procedures, existing relationships, etc.  everything
that happens in open space is shaped by all of what IS in the org.  as
harrison says, if they need a million dollars...

also, the time for action comes on day three.  the conversations go on for
two days before that.  the agenda is mostly, usually pretty complete by the
morning of day one, that gives leaders 48 hours to consider what if anything
of that feels dangerous.  and then there is not usually any need to squish,
only to be clear that the process for allocating a million dollars is still
in place... to be clear about what criteria have to be met to get whatever
is being suggested...

another fallback for action, if leadership still can't decide what to do
with things is a line i learned at osonos 4, from giles hopkins... "now that
you've read the book, what actions can be taken now, *with discretionary
time and resources*...."  at the very least, and with really minimal risk, i
think, you can always fall back to this sort of a question.  can invite
projects with 'discretionary resouces' and 'other resources' if you like.
but the discretionary part means that there's always some action planning to
be done.

i remember one group of leaders that agonized for a year over identifying
'adative challenges' and then over whether or not to "educate" top 60 or so
folks on "adaptive challenges" accordiing to a book called 'surfing the
chaos."  they wrote an invitation that asked people to come and talk about
the things that kept them up at night and made palms sweat.  they chose not
to 'educate' and when the issues went up, they stood back quietly with their
list of issues, and found that the group had proposed sessions that dealt
somehow with all of them.  then on the morning of day two, there was a bit
of a revolt.  people thought they were doing something wrong -- because
they'd raised all the most important issues, but there was also general
agreemtn that they weren't deadly scary things... "not making my palms
sweat" says one in morning news.  big debate follows, should they be scared,
afraid, sweating?  and if they aren't, are they missing something?  well,
turns out in the end that what senior leadership thought was very scary and
'adaptive challenges' -- critical changes in the business that we've never
made before -- was seen as just part and parcel of the everyday work of the
folks on the front lines.

i know it's always a dance to assure without guaranteeing something we can't
control... and at the same time, i think most of the dragons that people
imagine they might meet in open space turn out to be either pure fantasy or
really good friends.

good luck!  m

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates