Heroine's Journey and OST

Steven List anotherthought at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 07:19:29 PDT 2008

Doug,

The question implies a gender-based difference of some sort, whereas
Campbell and others don't seem to imply that The Hero's Journey is in any
way gender-specific.  In reading the materials about The Hero's Journey, it
seems to me that Hero == Person.

Referring back to the summary from Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth):

   1. A call to adventure, which the hero has to accept or decline
   2. A road of trials, regarding which the hero succeeds or fails
   3. Achieving the goal or "boon", which often results in important
self-knowledge
   4. A return to the ordinary world, again as to which the hero can succeed
or fail
   5. Applying the boon, in which what the hero has gained can be used to
improve the world

I can't see anything whatsoever that is gender-specific in this Monomyth.
And I think that's the key to both the understanding of it as it applies to
human beings and its applicability and agelessness.

There have been many females heroes in human history and myth whose journeys
have corresponded to the mapping in The Hero's Journey.

It seems to me that whoever asked the question must first ask themselves why
they think "hero" == "man".

When I say "my mother is one of my heroes" (which I do say), I don't think
of saying "my mother is one of my heroines".  The gender-ness of the concept
is irrelevant to me, and generally to my listeners.  I can't remember a
single instance when someone has said to me "don't you mean that your mother
is one of your HEROINES?"

--Doc