FW: Magic in the Middle

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Jun 14 14:48:14 PDT 2008

My favorite part of "in the middle" is that incredible moment of
transformation from a state of nothingness, and usually anxiety, to
something approaching connectedness, maybe even intimacy.

When the people have first found their seats. there is really nothing there,
and for most people that is an awesome/fearful experience. Confronting
"nothing" that is. But by the time that I have walked around the whole
circle, the change in atmosphere is remarkable. Nothing has really changed
except that I have invited each person to notice all the others -- friends,
acquaintances, strangers. No words have been spoken (by those sitting in the
circle), no issues have been announced. Seemingly, nothing has happened. But
it really is a very different world. What amazes me is just how quickly that
happens -- which is also a problem, I guess. Something serious has happened,
and people miss it. But I don't. It is just wonderful -- or did you say
magic?

Harrison