Open Space 2.0 - Beyond the Dogma

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed Apr 30 08:11:25 PDT 2008

hallo jack, interesting question...

for me, the dogma comes mainly from outside, not within the community.
dogma like "people won't come if there's not a big name keynoter" or "people
need warm-up icebreakers" or "we could never do more than a half-day (...on
the future/survival of the organization!" ...or some such) or "everybody
needs to hear everything" or even... "there's always a way to improve
something and so we're going to mess with this world-renown process before
we've actually tried it even once."  how about "oh, yes, there's already a
committee that's supposed to be handling that (really big question) (never
mind that nobody can remember the last time they met) so we need to focus on
just this (small question) for this (short) meeting.

if there is an ost 'establishment,' this list must be it.  and here i see
regular inventions and experiments and also the occasional diving into the
question of what's essential ost.  i've said for years now, in the process
of adapting ost to all kinds of (hostile, to the standard model)
environments, that it's most important to do the practice and notice for
oneself those things that seem essential.  invitation, circle, marketplace,
breathing or what i usually generalize to 'pulsation', bulletin board.  lots
of different ways to create these same mechanisms.  embedded in these things
are voluntary self-selection, real purpose, responsibility, documentation,
and some other things we've discussed here for years.

personally, i'm not as interested in discussion aimed at nixing 'dogma' that
might get in the way here or there as i am in understanding through direct
experience the barest essence of what actually does work, so that i can be
smarter still about what not to do... and what NOT not to do... and more
importantly, how TO DO those things that some situations demand, in ways
that are most consistent with the essence of what we're up to with ost.

have a good chat and i hope you'll bring the notes back to post here.  i'm
sure there are corners of the world where dogma is getting in the way of
opening space... ost dogma perhaps, and lots of other dogma, too!

cheers, m

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com