The Disaster of Un-Facilitated Open Space (very long)

Kaliya Hamlin kaliya at mac.com
Wed Sep 19 10:33:34 PDT 2007

Dear Peggy,

  Your response brought up some things I thought I would share.
I hope they will be received as constructive and providing a
different view point rather then critical.

Could we have made better use of those who brought knowledge about the
new story to the gathering?  Surely.  SHOULD we have, in some particular
way?

This is the SAME question from the Evolutionary SALON and it didn't
happen there either.
If you are calling an event and have an point of view a thesis a
"STORY" and then you don't share it well with the people coming when
the get there- 'because everyone is equal' and has 'their story' and
you 'don't want to impose your story'  well that is crazy green logic
(in the spiral dynamic sense of the word).  You called the gathering
- SHARE YOUR THING so that they know why you called them there. Then
they can go off with it or not in the open space but to have this
secret unknown 'thing' that called some people but others don't
really have any knowledge of it seems out of balance.

I have come to believe that strategic conversations, such as we had at
the Story Field Conference, are part of a larger trend, a floating
conversation, with different threads of a collective exploration slowly
converging, bringing together different cohorts who are exploring
similar questions.  Through these seemingly unconnected iterations, we
are growing a new and vital coherence among us.  At least, that’s my
story.  And it begins, indirectly, to touch on this question of what it
takes to get things done.

The reason we need to build new intellectual architechure is so that
we can GET THINGS DONE.  Chattiness to feel all 'groovy' and 'high'
that we connected to some other people who share some of our world
view is not 'enough' to address the collective challenge.  I think it
is very fair to ask questions about getting things done and
effectiveness. The nonprofit change the world sector is largely
infected with a mindset that ignores effectiveness because they are
'trying'.  I would encourage those of you who want to understand more
about this to look in to rockwood institute's work work.  One of the
reasons they were founded was to get nonprofit leaders to be more
strategic and effective through better leadership.

Getting things done.
  A friend of mine that I reconnected with at Burning Man is involved
with several transformational 'networks' of leaders thinking about
the shift in culture we are/will be going through.  He asked the
question early on when they gathered how much time do you want to
spend doing stuff vs falling in love and the answer he got back was
20/80 this was frustrating to hear - if the reason you invested time
and energy to participating was to really transform the world -
everyone just wanting to stare into each others eyes to get their
'love high' well that wasn't the point (it speaks to the need for
those of us doing this work to have our needs for love and affection,
caring and community met but not try to bring those needs into action
oriented fora).   He like me 'fall in love' with the people I work
with.  In time he got the group/network to shift the ratio to 80/20.
With this ratio we feel activated and able to get things done with
people AND fall in love with them because we are actually interacting
and doing things with them.   This may seem radical for the 'sit in
the circle' 'emergence' people but it is a reason that your 'way'
doesn't work for 'everyone'.  I use the circle all the time and my
community is used to  it and finds it valuable for getting things
done. I know in time they will fall in love with each other but that
is not why they are there and I don't think it is 'why' we should
hold gatherings around transformative change the world topics. (this
is about my community being in love with each other - just look at
the photos http://virtualsoul.org/blog/2007/06/19/expressions-of-a-
milestone-at-iiw-2007a/)

there is also the other problem in these one-off communities of
promising to much and things not really coming out of them. I think
it is important to think about how we cultivate containers for
communities to really grow and emerge.

I think the current fragmentation of our society grew out of feelings
that there were no avenues for voices that don’t fit accepted norms.
How can I feel connected to a larger whole when there is no space for my
point of view?  At the extreme, violence is a consequence of this
fragmentation; if there isn’t a space for voices with different stories,
then it plays out in other forms.

Yes AND it doesn't mean that circles are the answer to 'everything'.
I was at the EarthDance festival this weekend and there was so much
'othering' language around the people out their in the "dominant"
culture. I felt sooooo sensitive to the way the 'hippies' talked - it
was very judgemental.  It was like you are talking about my friends
and the people I work with and cultures I am a part of and respect
deeply.

At the same time when I ran a 'datasharing summit' for techies and
opened the morning circle with please share your name and one word
about how you are feeling this morning.  One of the guys who works
for a large internet company on the east coast shared with me at the
end of the day that that was slightly unconfortable for him (he was
not saying we should not have done it just that it had nudged on his
edge a bit). I think you underestimate where people's edges are for
this kind of stuff.

With the level of extreme emotionality and 'processing' that can
happen at these gatherings (there are various reasons for this) I
think we have to become clearer about how "the collective
manifestation of individual suffering" can 'take over' our events and
side track them. I don't know enough about what happened at the
StoryField event but I do know it happened at the Evolutionary Salon
and has happened at a few other leadership gatherings I have attended
in the related but different field of spritual activism.  We should
not 'suppress' or push out the needs that people have to process
their own emotional stuff that comes up. On the other hand it does
not need to be fully in the container of the whole that was called
for a different purpose.  We must develop greater emotional literacy
around individual and group dynamics and not just 'welcome it all in'
because that may not be appropriate.

Maybe there is a need for these things to create containers to
receive peoples emotional stuff early in the gathering?

  The new story is most effectively told in ways that
are consistent with the new story ·                    Blame, judgment,
victimization, domination are all part of the old story and when they
show up in telling the new story, it causes those who are made invisible
by the old story to either disappear further or, where there is room for
them to show up, to show up fiercely ·                    The new story
integrates the duality implicit in male/female, western/indigenous,
white/non-white into a larger pattern of “differentiated wholeness”.

I don't know about all this.
I have heard people talk about the new story and 'blame and judge'
the old story and those who have it.  Some how the new story must
include the old story. It must be accessible to those in it and not
make them feel 'bad.'
A good friend of mine deeply committed to transforming the world for
good who is a white guy and getting older read an advanced copy of
Paul Hawken's Blessed Unrest. He said it was basically a message of
'suicide' for white guys - there was not role for them at all in the
'new' story of the book.  The future was all indigenous people and
women.  This is NOT inclusive.

Another good friend deeply committed to transforming the world for
good who is a white guy getting older (I have a lot of friends like
this).  Was with me at Burning Man at our camp sustainabilaville's
opening.  He talked to me at length about how he felt so judged by
the environmental movement and communities when he was really doing
his best and they just kept telling him it was all his fault for his
wrong choices.

This 'new story' must be inclusive of the core elements that are
'true' or 'essential' and can't just erase them.  White guys aren't
going away and there needs to be a story that doesn't make them the
bad guys.   This is one of the reasons I am sooooo excited about the
Green Man archetype as a positive male beacon to allow transformation
of the culture.   If you want to transform these guys telling them
they are not 'emotional enough' and that there is something wrong
with them for being who they are then you are not going to get very
far.  It might be a better approach to understand where they are and
going from there.

Kaliya - Identity Woman
kaliya at mac.com

http://www.unconference.net