Craig

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon Oct 22 04:30:22 PDT 2007

Hi Craig!

1.  With approx. 110 people, is your experience best with one large circle
or two concentric circles (keeps it smaller)?

I always go for more space – so if you can make it with one circle, that
would be my choice. However at that point people are a long way from each
other so a mike is essential. A big circle with lots of space is truly
awesome, but you do have to run about a bit in order to cover it. Are you in
good shape?

2.  A technical question--If we have to go with two concentric circles
because of space, where I have a beginning number, does any one have
experience as to an estimate as to the number of chairs for the inner and
outer circles?  I have done it, but it has been a while.  Trying to remember
at what number to begin the experiment as we set up the circles.

Don’t have a clue. I would start with the outer circle and fill in as
necessary.

3.  In the past, I usually go with 1 hour and 15 minute sessions.  This
gathering, even though the group is more accustomed to 1 hour meetings, I am
thinking about using the 1 and 1/12 time frame for the sessions—knowing that
when it is over, it is over.  Any thoughts on your experiences about
time—when it is a longer gathering like this one it seems the 1 and ½
sessions could allow more freedom or space.

For whatever it is worth I always go with 1½ hour sessions -- unless there
is a REALY good reason for smaller time slots. It is a lot more relaxed,
particularly if the breakout spaces are spread out all over the place.

4.  With a group of this size, I plan to have Evening News at the end of
each day and a closing news on the last morning.  Often, I ask, What have
you learned?  Do you suggest staying with that question at the end of each
day or do you suggest something different (In this gathering, I will have
two evening news and one closing news.  Generally, I find the closing news
the deepest and longest.)?  My other concern at times is the length of such
news with this large number each evening and on the last morning, but I
guess, if they get bored, they can engage the law of two feet.  Any
thoughts?

I am a little curious about a “closing news?” First off I always try and
keep my “News” times brief, especially in the morning as folks want to go to
work. Do you mean a “closing session” – which comes at the end of
everything? That for me is the time for reflection and sharing. The other
news spots are more practical. Like lost watches and wallets, places to go
to dinner, etc. Of course if something deeper wants to come out, it usually
does, and you got to give it space/time. But don’t let it get away from you
time wise else people get tired of it all. If things tend to go on too long,
and I can see that folks are edgy and want to head for the door, I remind
them that the law of two feet is always in operation – and those who need to
– can put one ahead of the other.

Have fun!

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html

I am getting ready to lead another Open Space.  Please excuse the smallness
of these questions, but I continue to evaluate how I do Open Space, what can
I learn, and how can I do it better?

This gathering will start mid-day, have one full day, then another half-day.
My questions are:

[...]

Always interested in learning from your experiences, and how I might do what
I do better.

Thanks,

Craig

  _____