Craig

Craig Gilliam wcraiggilliam at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 21 18:21:45 PDT 2007

I am getting ready to lead another Open Space.  Please excuse the smallness of these
questions, but I continue to evaluate how I do Open Space, what can I learn,
and how can I do it better?

This gathering will start mid-day, have one full day, then
another half-day.  My questions are:

1.  With approx. 110
people, is your experience best with one large circle or two concentric circles
(keeps it smaller)?

2.  A technical question--If
we have to go with two concentric circles because of space, where I have a
beginning number, does any one have experience as to an estimate as to the
number of chairs for the inner and outer circles?  I have done it, but it has been a while.  Trying to remember at what number to begin
the experiment as we set up the circles.

3.  In the past, I
usually go with 1 hour and 15 minute sessions.
This gathering, even though the group is more accustomed to 1 hour
meetings, I am thinking about using the 1 and 1/12 time frame for the sessions—knowing
that when it is over, it is over.  Any
thoughts on your experiences about time—when it is a longer gathering like this
one it seems the 1 and ½ sessions could allow more freedom or space.

4.  With a group of
this size, I plan to have Evening News at the end of each day and a closing
news on the last morning.  Often, I ask,
What have you learned?  Do you suggest
staying with that question at the end of each day or do you suggest something
different (In this gathering, I will have two evening news and one closing
news.  Generally, I find the closing news
the deepest and longest.)?  My other
concern at times is the length of such news with this large number each evening
and on the last morning, but I guess, if they get bored, they can engage the
law of two feet.  Any thoughts?

Always interested in learning from your experiences, and how
I might do what I do better.

Thanks,

Craig