new

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 11:24:21 PDT 2007

Hi Niko.  Welcome to the list!

I want to share a story in response to what you wrote about how two of the
main participants from your OS left before you did the closing circle.  Yes,
you are right, the law of two feet invites folks to leave when they want to
but it can be unsettling as the spaceholder, can't it?

I heard this story from Susan Coleman, an international conflict resolution
expert who uses large group processes with communities and systems in
conflict.  She works at Columbia University. She uses OS sometimes when she
convenes peace-building events for groups from high conflict zones.

The first time she ever used OS was for an event that brought together
participants from both sides of a major conflict.  I am sorry that I am not
remembering all the details of her story.  The event where she first used OS
brought together people very deeply divided, like Shiites and Sunnis or
Palestinians and Israelis. . . but I forget which conflicting cultures she
had in the room.  People had traveled from abroad to New York City to attend
Susan's event.  Most of us know what it takes to organize an international
event.  It takes lots of planning, with countless logistical snafus.

Finally, the day had arrived.  Susan kicked off the multi-day event by
opening space.

And then everyone left and went shopping.  All of those participants were
chomping at the bit to shop in New York City or, perhaps, just to see
exciting New York City.  Who knows what they wanted to do? But they trusted
Susan when she said 'follow what has heart and meaning', follow the 'law of
two feet'.  They all got up and left.

She sat around the rest of that first day thinking that she had blown it.
This was a major event.  Had she failed by using OS?  She experienced a lot
of self doubt.

But the next day, everyone came back, created an awesome agenda and they had
a fantastic meeting.  Maybe all those participants were better able to focus
on the work after they used the law of two feet, sated their curiosity about
New York City.  If Susan had used a different model for her meeting and
required everyone to stay in the room, people might have been bored and/or
distracted with thoughts of the exciting city just outside.  But by leaving
that first day and checking out NYC, well, folks, maybe, were better able to
focus on the agenda, right?

I have heard other stories of people opening space and then the participants
leaving to check out the tourist spots, etc.  And then folks come back and
get to work.

People need to  show up, with their passions.  If people are just in the
room because they have to be in the room, well, they can be physically
present but not really 'in'.

Good on you, Niko, for your first OS.

On 10/13/07, niko lebel <futurewhispers at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Christine,
>
> thankyou for your email.
>
> The focus for the meeting was on an old mill which is where my family and
> I are currently living and working.
>
> the Theme was "making le moulin de petit pre the best it can be.... heres
> how"
>
> Which I though was a really good start and theme for the meeting.
>
> I was in the room whilst the meeting durated but not part of the meeting.
> I did not understand a large amount of the meeting as it was in french
> which I still do not know enough of to understand.
>
> Then a funny thing happened, at 7 pm when I was going to come back to
> close the space two of the main partisipants got up and left to go home...
> I was shocked at first but then reminded my self of the law or mobility.
>
> I found it a little rude and strange though.
>
> Which reminded me of Open space meetings i attended in New Zealand by a
> friend for his buisness.
> The facilitator (not me) took part in the meeting and made the opening of
> the space the most dull miserable experiance possible.
>
> i stopped attending.
>
> I always make a point of making the opening circle a light interesting
> affair.
>
> Thank you all for the warm welcome.
>
> I hope i can Learn as much as possible from who ever I can.
>
> Niko Lebel.
>
> P.S It is raining and cold in Québec city
>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:03:44 -0700
> From: milagro27 at cox.net
> Subject: Re: new
> To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>
> Welcome, Niko!
>
> Congratulations on your Open Space.  What was the focus and who were the
> people?  Was this the first time you opened space?
>
> I am especially interested in your experience because of my work with the
> Girl Scouts.
>
> Warm wishes from a brilliant day in Phoenix,
>
> *Christine*
>

> Christine Whitney Sanchez
> *CWS - Collaborative Wisdom & Strategy*
> 2717 E. Mountain Sky Avenue
> Phoenix, AZ  85048-8990
> 480.759.0262
> www.christinewhitneysanchez.com

Love rays,
Tree Fitzpatrick

http://thecultureoflove.blogspot.com/

. . . the great and incalculable grace of love, which says, with Augustine,
"I want you to be," without being able to give any particular reason for
such supreme and unsurpassable affirmation.  -- Hannah Arendt

1335 Montecito Ave Apt. 35
Mountain View, California 94043
(650) 967-9260