dynamic facilitation

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Thu Oct 18 16:08:28 PDT 2007

Susan (and all),

Your situation with strategic planning at your organization and the
management's current unreadiness to work with OST suggests the
question, "What can one offer as a facilitator when they (the sponsor, the
organization) are not ready for OST?" (whatever "ready" means)

Typically World Cafe, Appreciative Inquiry, and a host (or combination) of
other approaches are offered as alternatives.

I just recently completed two workshops in Dynamic Faciliation, originated
by Jim Rough and have been rather intrigued.

I first heard of dynamic facilitation two years ago on the Genuine Contact
listserv. It was framed as a means of inviting the male energy in the room.

I don't want to get into the details of DF, but some of the ways it  can
assuage a sponsor by looking like typical facilitation include:

- it looks, to the unaided eye, like traditional facilitation: the group
sits in a semicircle, a facilitator stands in front of 4 flipchart stands
recording the discussion

- people speak one at a time

- meetings can be short, as short as one hour.

And the ways it's like OST include:

- there is no agenda

- the guiding principle in the meeting's "agenda" development is "follow
the energy" (law of two feet?!)-- people talk about what they want

- there are no "rules" for the participants

- it generates breakthroughs, gets to the bottom of issues

- it leads to inspired action

As someone used to participating in OST meetings, it is difficult to
participate in a meeting where we speak one at a time, where the Law of
Two Feet is not explicit.

*And* I think there are ways DF and OST can complement each other quite
well.

It has been very fruitful experimenting with the approach in one-on-one
sessions. Indeed, it has applications also in counseling, coaching, and
therapy...

Curiously, "dynamic facilitation" pops up just 4 times in an archive
search of OSlist...

Jim Rough's Society's Breakthrough! : Releasing Essential Wisdom and
Virtue in All the People is a fascinating read, offering a very simple,
(dis)passionate, and accessible analysis of the system we are in, (fresh)
language that can also frame how OST and os fit in the practice of system
tranformation.

Jim's book also is devoted in part to a very simple, powerful, and radical
vision for democracy around the world, an application of DF, called the
Wisdom Council.

There is lots more on the approach online - including - at
dynamicfacilitation.com, tobe.net, and www.wisedemocracy.org/

The approach is also on pp.223-226 of your autographed copy of the Change
Handbook : )

Warmly,
Raffi