Intervention by Naming the Tension in a Group

gail west icataiw at ms69.hinet.net
Wed Oct 17 19:05:59 PDT 2007

Dear OS List,

One of the biggest questions for facilitators and sponsors is how
much intervention is helpful to a group, and how do we learn to let a
group struggle with and handle their emotions, differences, etc
without our own need for a group to "run smoothly and calmly".  This
is not only for open space events but for any leader or facilitator
to consider.  Here are a few reflections.

Gail

************************************

>Thank you Sandra - I know of Arny Mindell and Process Work, and have
>deep respect for both, but it is my feeling that he/they work much
>too hard at the Process. But I guess that is what Work is all about?
>
>My experience is that, given the space/time, the people will take
>care of the business all by themselves. I acknowledge that this
>creates more than a few "white knuckle" experiences for the
>facilitator - but never have I seen it all go south (Americanism for
>"really bad"). The people always come through, and my feeling is
>that we must "hold" that space and time until they get the job done
>- which they always do, at least so far. But it always helps (as a
>facilitator) to take multiple Deep Breaths along the way as they
>(The People) work. Helps with White Knuckles and all of that!
>
>And of course all of this brings us back to the interesting question
>of how could it be that these untutored folks, in the midst of
>violent conflict, do for themselves what most facilitators would
>take on only under the threat of dire punishment (loss of job or
>fee)??
>
>Harrison

You have it right. I did "acknowledge" a "lot of stuff in the air" -
and carefully did not "name the issues" - which as I said - I didn't
know or certainly understand. But even if I had really known the
issues and understood them I would have been as vague as possible.
Vagueness can be slippery, but it creates a lot of space and people
fill in the blanks as only they can do.

Oh yes - The People. Can you really trust them? My experience is that
you don't have much choice, and one thing you can trust is that given
the space The People will make choices that they perceive to be life
enhancing. Of course, other People may have a different perception
and there are times when these perceptions are at odds, sometimes
catastrophically - productive of lots of chaos, confusion and
conflict. The usual response is to clamp down on the situation and
bring The People (whichever people) into line. The net effect is an
intensification and polarization of the situation. Opening space goes
in the opposite direction - creating an environment in which there is
sufficient room to find common ground. I think this is what Peace
making is all about. If you are interested in all of that you might
take a look at my book, "The Practice of Peace."

Harrison
*************************************
Sandra--

"Naming the tension" raises for me the question whether that might just
be taking away from the people? I do not know. What do you see?

For instance, there is this US slang for naming called putting a
"handle" on something or someone. When we name something we feel we have
some control over it. Have you ever noticed that when we are ill, the
fact that the Doctor puts a name on our dis-ease relieves our tension
and gives us hope?

Naming something can stop our further inquiry into what is going on,
yes? After the facilitator gave the name, did anybody say, "Let's keep
looking at it, maybe it's not anger, maybe it is angst?"

So does naming help or open or close or something else or more?

:- Doug

Doug:

I think I hear what you are saying.  I remember, I think it was James
Hillman saying that when we have an image in a dream, how do we stay
with the image and not label it?   If we name it too early, or maybe
name it at all, as soon as we do so, it has said all it will say to
us.

For example, as soon as we name the snake in the dream as a mother
complex, it has said all it will say to us.  But if we can stay with
the image, then it will keep speaking.  Can we stay with the image
without naming it or at least holding the label loosely?

Does the same principle apply to OS.  When we put a "handle" on it,
when we "name it," on one hand, we might be making it easier for
people to deal with it, but also by naming it are we removing some of
the power and creative voice trying to emerge?  By naming it, we
might be making it smaller to alleviate anxiety, but might that be
robbing the group of growth, and the issue of its mystery?

Just some thoughts!

Thanks,
Craig

--