Advice on running Open Space with 250-300 people

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Nov 18 13:20:39 PST 2007

Sounds like you are getting some real good advice (what else on OSLIST?!)
Three things occur to me --

1) I find working with larger groups is actually easier than small ones.
Part of that is that there is a sufficient crowd that people don't feel
inclined to conversations during the opening. But as Michael points out, 250
people is rather on the small end of things.

2) When I invite people to announce their issues, I make it very clear that
there are to be no speeches. Just state your issue, your name -- and move
on. You don't have to sound like a drill sergeant, a smile will help, and
I've never had any objections. Occasionally people do get carried away, but
having said No Speeches at the start, I have no problem reiterating the
point (nicely) if I see a speech developing.

3) I think it is really important that there be NO limit on the number of
issues raised. A promise I always make in the invitation (or suggest that
the sponsor makes) is that EVERY ISSUE OF CONCERN to anybody will be on the
table. That can get a little interesting. In the OS that Michael refers to
(2108 participants) we had figured that there might be 175 issues raised --
but when the total was heading to 200 we had to move a little quickly to add
spaces. But we did, and everything worked. The final total was, as Michael
said, something like 236. And as near as I can tell all sessions met and
made a report. Number (of people or issues) need never be a problem.  Good
luck! Don't forget to breath. And above all, Have fun!

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html