Advice on running Open Space with 250-300 people

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Sun Nov 18 09:18:28 PST 2007

Hello Asiak,

I'd suggest the following:

1.	Create 3 sessions of 60 minutes each, no need to plan the breaks,
participants will do this themselves - only the hotel needs
   	to understand they need to be flexible and make sure whatever is
needed is available when people take a break;

2.	The number of topics is as many as participants want to post. So do
not create a limited number of slots. In my experience 250
	people tend to come up with between 40 and 70 issues (the bigger the
group, the more likely someone else has posted the topic
	you had in mind).  I expand the agenda wall as more topics come up.

3.	Just the time needed to read out the topic and say their name. No
long explanations.
	With 250-300 participants, the whole opening (opening statement,
introducing OS, making the agenda) typically takes some
	45 minutes.

4.	Do not split up the topic into two, at least not for logistical
reasons - only if you have two key issues which are clearlily not
	connected. On the other hand, why not split up the time between your
10 minute talks and open space sessions in another way ?
	Last year, during WikiSym, we had a bit of the same issue, and decided
to have a joint opening session, creating the agenda for
	the Open Space. After that, talks took place in one large room, and OS
sessions in another large room, allowing participants to
	move from one part of the conference to the other, following their
noses .... This created much more space for all to have the
	conversations (or presentations) they wanted to have
.

Finally, I feel that creating the topics is not time taken deducted
from time to discuss. It often feels more like creating a joint picture
of what is essential as seen from the different perspectives, and I
find often when the agenda is done, the agenda wall shows a diagnosis
of where the group is at as related to the topic - both in terms of the
important topics put on the agenda, as well as those who one might
expect which have not been put there.

Have fun  !!!!!

Mange hilsner

Gerard Muller
Open Space Institute Denmark
Phone: (+45) 21269621					Skype: openspace1
Mail: gm at openspace.dk