Advice on running Open Space with 250-300 people

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Sun Nov 18 08:49:39 PST 2007

> Is 3 times 45 minutes topics (and 15 min break) ok?

3 sessions give enough choice, I would go for that
Make 3 beginning times that are 60 minutes apart, breaks are
selforganized...this means you might have a session begin each at
2:30, 3:30 and 4:30 (do not say 2:30 until 3:30 because the time a group
will take will vary, some groups might stick together all of the 3
hours, some are finished in 20 minutes)

> * How many topics should we strive to create?

Make sure its the group creating the issues, not you. The number of
issues is calculated by the multiplying beginning times with break out
spaces. So if you have 3 beginning times on the first day and and 14
break out spaces there is enough room for 42 issues. People might have
more issues and for that I have postits that just give the beginning
times and people have to see where they will meet (post new postits when
all the 42, to stay in this example, are taken)

> * How long should each participant get to suggest a topic?

You can make a contribution to shortening the time when you as
facilitator demonstrate how issues are posted: You go to the center,
kneel down, right down the issue, walk up to the mike and announce it
crisp and short. You might also suggest that it is a good idea for
people to write down their issues before announcing it (rather than the
other way round).
When we had 232 issues with the os with 2108 participants there were 8
seconds per participant.
With small os events such as yours you dont have to limit the time.
If you get the impression you are cramped, you yourself might want to
hold the microphone and have people walk up to it, if they take very
long intervene appropriately (I usually leave the circle and have the
participants walk up to a mike sitting on a microphone holder...it works
quite well)

> Should we split up the introduction/topic suggestion in two big groups?

No, if you mean to split up the 250 people into two groups.
Dont worry too much about the group taking too much time with announcing
their issues...if all stay in one group, there will be minimal doubling
of issues...if you have 2 groups lots of issues will double.

It seems that you will have two seperate os events since you have all
those lightening talks each morning...you might find lots of people
skipping the lightening talks on the second day because they have gotten
into the open space mood. It might be a lot better to have all the
lightening talks (oh, how I abhor them! why do we think that people need
to be lit? what kind of concept of human nature do we transport with
such a notion?)bunched into one morning and have a half day and a whole
day of os in one continuum with all the issues posted at the beginning
both for the afternoon and the next day (with added opportunities for
more issues during evening news and morning announcements).

Hope you have a great time and let us know how it went!
And take a look at the world map
> http://www.openspaceworldmap.org/

there are 2 colleagues listed there, one in Oslo
and, of course, you are invited to include yourself, too!

Greetings from Berlin
mmp