Seeking a very strong facilitator

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sat Nov 3 09:58:23 PDT 2007

And a variation on Harrison's story....

In 1996, as we were creating the Open  Space Institute - US, we began with
these weekly or bi-weekly meetings, usually about 10 people and a very full
agenda.  The meetings weren't much fun at all and interest began to wane.
It was clear something different was needed!  So, we turned the meetings on
their head, making the relationships among us and where passion lived for
each of us the centerpiece.  We said we'd handle everything that could be
handled by email through email (boy, was the volume of messages smaller
then!)  We'd start each session with a check-in, as people spoke to what had
passion for them.  From there, conversation ensued, in which, surprise of
surprise, not only did everything that would have been on the agenda get
covered (I know, because for the longest time, I kept a little hidden list,
just in case :-), but we ended up covering more topics, deepening our
connections to each other, and left energized and inspired rather than
depleted.

It was quite a lesson is trusting that passion and responsibility - taking
responsibility for what I/we love - really does work.

smiling at the memory,
Peggy