Seeking a very strong facilitator

Franklin Quijano franklinqjn at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 20:04:09 PDT 2007

WOW

Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net> wrote:  Diana -- were it not for the fact that driving to Toronto from Washington,
DC seems a little much, I would definitely be on the road! At least I would
make the offer. And I think I even have the necessary experience.

Some years ago a friend became ill and asked me to fill in for her with what
she termed "a difficult client." She didn't provide any more details, but
she was a good friend and obviously in need, so I agreed. The client was a
major division of a very large global institution, and when I arrived at the
appointed time and place I was given an envelope containing a note from my
friend. I have lost the note, but I remember the essence. She said, "I guess
I should have warned you, but these people have the reputation in our
organization of being the meanest, feistiest, most cantankerous group of
executives in our organization. They dearly love a good fight, but best of
all they totally enjoy eating facilitators for lunch, after which they can
go home with their reputation in tact. Good luck!" In as much as I was about
to enter the circle (yes we were going to open some space!) I didn't have
too much time to think about it -- so I just went with the flow, so to
speak.

I walked into the circle, protected only by my hat. I stood quietly for a
moment considering the assembled group. Seems to me that there were about
150 of them and truthfully I have never seen a more hostile crowd. Arms
folded across their chests, heads lowered, eyes barely slits -- and very
quiet. I let the silence build for a long time, a very long time. When I
broke it (silence) I said, "I don't have a clue why you are here or what you
expect to do, having just come into all of this. But if you know what needs
doing, have some real passion for getting it done, and are willing to take
personal responsibility for your actions, I can help. If you don't care or
won't take responsibility, we can all go home right now. Your choice.

It was pretty quiet. People looked at me and each other. They looked at the
floor and up to the ceiling. I just waited.

After a while a voice from somewhere in the circle said -- "We have an awful
lot to do and we care about doing it. Let's get on with it."

"Right", I said, and started walking around the circle -- inviting people to
notice each other and to take a deep breath. . . Well you all know what
happened next.

At the end of two days in the closing circle when the microphone came back
to me I thanked them for the pleasure and privilege of being with them.
Truly they were an awesome bunch. And I couldn't help but add that it seemed
to me that they had just blown their reputation as real Tigers.

I don't quite know where I am going with all this, but one thing for sure--
I have never met a group that could not function well in Open Space provided
they cared and would accept responsibility for what they cared about. And if
neither passion nor responsibility is present -- not much of utility is
going to happen. And it doesn't have much to do with strength, so far as I
can see. Indeed vulnerability may be much more important.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html