Opening Space in Iran

gail west icataiw at ms69.hinet.net
Tue Nov 13 19:03:10 PST 2007

It is of interest that OS is happening in
countries that have high political and cultural
conflict, and that at least 2 of these events
are with the media (radio/broadcasting).
	Gail

>I have just facilitated one OST for three
>hours last week during an associated meeting of
>the Asian Broadcasting Union (ABU) 44th General
>Assembly hosted by the government of Iran. The
>number of participants were only 20 people from
>countries as Bhutan, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand,
>Iran, Nepal, Indonesia and Fiji. Topic was how
>to overcome the digital divide. Most of the
>participants were senior managers of the
>respective national broadcasting stations. The
>event was sponsored by a German political
>Foundation and the ABU Secretariat. The location
>was kind of nice although very spontaneous. We
>conducted it in the teahouse area of the huge
>congress center of the Islamic Republic Iranian
>Broadcasting (IRIB). While the open space took
>place we could enjoy some of the amazing teas.
>Jost H. Wagner
>Consultant - Trainer
>IAF Certified Professional Facilitator©

Dear Jost,
great! So, now I can "activate" Iran (making it
the 132nd os-country on the map) and add Iran to
your list of countries in the world map.
While looking through the archives of our
listserve searching for Iran I found a long
string where Raffi spoke of some of his ancestors
coming from there...so thats part of his interest.
Interesting that you mentioned a German political
Foundation as being one of the sponsors. You know
but most of the members of our list probably dont
that there are 5 major political Foundations not
only active in Germany and Europe but all over
the world and interested in supporting innovative
approaches. The training I conducted in Karachi
for people from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Sri
Lanka (the Indians could not attend because of
tensions which resulted in them not getting
visas)was sponsored by the Friedrich Ebert
Stiftung, associated with the Social Democratic
Party in Germany. I facilitate about 8 os events
on various topics around youth violence in
Germany for them.
My closest contact at the Foundation is now at
the office of this Foundatin in Shanghai...I
think they have close to 100 offices around the
world...I am reporting on this at some length to
encourage os-workers around the world to look at
their programs and activities which are in many
of the fields that many of us are engaged in.
Greetings from Berlin, mmp

Dear friends in OS
I haven't been working in Iran, but I did
facilitate an OST-meeting for an Iranian
international alumni-organization meeting in
Sweden a few years back.

Quite an experience. I opened space using English
but otherwise most was conducted in Persian as
was the closing circle. Quite a joy to hold the
space during closing circle hearing sounds not
understanding a word but still getting the
essence. As always - it worked wonders.
Warm regards
Thomas, Sweden

If the plans come through, I will facilitate an
Open Space in Tehran on Radio Management 7-8
Feb'08 for IRIB (Islamic Republic Iranian
Broadcasting)...through the request of
Asia-Pacific Institute For Broadcasting
Development (AIBD).

Best Regards,