[Fwd: Re: Craig]

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Thu Nov 1 19:15:50 PDT 2007

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Bernd Weber <weberb at gmx.at>
To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
Cc: 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Craig
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:52:40 +0100

 Craig and Doug,

Yes, I did it in Mozambique in Community Development work. I had noticed, that all my efforts to adapt OSTECH to an oral/visual preference culture but still insisting on a agenda grid had resulted in people gathering around those who had symbols for their issue and the working space and going off with them, and there were some brave helpers (of the planning and preparation team) who pleased me by putting the information they got by observing the process to the agenda wall. But then I never found the people where they "should be" (according to the grid). I argued then that people who want to join in, would not know where and when, but I was the only person with this problem. So I simply gave up. Let them go and work where and when they wanted.
Effect: Even more loss of control, which was not a problem for me, but usually for the paying client (Development Cooperation Context) because the usual rules of documentation were not observed and I could not tell who had been where and when and what issues they had been working on (they speak 26 different languages in Mozambique, so I also did not understand much contents in the morning and evening circles.
Anyway, no problem for the participants, in fact. I am not shure, but I think this applies only to oral/visual oriented cultures, I suppose alphabetically orientated cultures would get into trouble. We are so much used to see space and time according to Descartes Definition.

Bernd (Colombo, Sri Lanka)
P.S.
Doug Since the OSLIST-server did not accept my mailings for months, I send this also cc. to your compuserve adress. Please forward it to Craig in case it does again not appear in the list

-------- Original-Nachricht --------