Question - bilingual opening

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Thu May 24 17:29:21 PDT 2007

Openning the circle in English and in French together is also something
Larry Peterson and I do. We have a preference for walking the circle side by
side to bound the circle and build the energy (like a spiral). But as
Harrison showed with his example, you find what works for you. I also open
by myself, using both French and English, summarizing in one or the other
language alternatively so it's not too long and repetitive for the bilingual
folks.

A very common feedback and reaction we get when we do it in two languages
(instead of simultaneous translation) is that people who did not trust that
they could understand the other language realize that they can , more than
they thought.

The added beauty of this is that they then feel more confident to go to the
other language groups and mix up languages. It gives a great kick start to
openness and cooperation.

That is why if I can avoid simultaneous translation for the opening, I find
people get that Ah Ah experience of discovering a language and they get a
clearer sense of what we are saying instead of the interpretation of a
translator that usually has no or little experience of OS and may capture
the words but not always the spirit.

Diane