doing self-organization

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed May 23 16:50:51 PDT 2007

thanks, harrison.  this helps put some things in context for me.
never thought or meant to say Invitation and Self-Organization in
opposition.  just that self-org was also a 'halfway' story for me.
necessary but not sufficient, if you will.  because it's not really a
half-way story, but an all-the-way-in-the-other-direction story.
control on the one hand and self-organization on the other.

control is, as you say, illusion/delusion.  maintained to a point, but
essential not true.  self-organization, on the other hand is
absolutely true.  and yet, i've never been able to be clear about what
to *do* about, or coach other would-be leaders or helpers to do about,
the truth that self-organization is everywhere already at work.

so self-organization is halfway for me because it *un-do-es* habitual
control-based view.  but then what?  powerless?  adrift?  unsupported?
 i think not.  Invitation is the thing i can still *do* with passion,
power, full energy... without running afoul of the truth of
non-control.  i can *do* invitation, and be full and inviting, without
in any way imposing control on anyone else.  in open space, we invite
leaders to invite others to invite others.  nobody in control of
anybody else and everyone in control of their own invitations and

so for me, open space and invitation work not because
self-organization is true, but because we live in between some sense
of control and some reality of being swept along in a self-organizing
world (and even more disturbing, a largely self-organizing body, as
well).  the active, conscious practice of Inviting is the only way
i've been able to explain how open space works, surfing the edge
between elusive/eroding control and self-organizing chaos.

what matters in open space, i think, is that we invite and practice
two things at once.  i'm told that, as of some years ago, only
something like 16% of the population (of somewhere, america, world, i
dunno) could maintain awareness of at least two states of reality
simultaneously.  parent/child, learning/contributing,
passion/responsibility, giving/receiving, 4 principles/one law,
control/self-org, order/chaos, me/you.  for me, Space really opens
when I let the two sides of one of these pairs be both true and both
still distinct.  when i let even just one other being be as real to me
as i am to myself.

so no opposition and more to the story than self-organization.  every
invitation at once a solid piece of practical, even orderly, work and
also a simple call/prayer to the god(s) of self-organization,
simultaneous and still distinct.

email: michael at michaelherman.com
skype: globalchicago

http://www.michaelherman.com