Question - bilingual opening

Deborah Hartmann deborah at hartmann.net
Thu May 24 07:01:47 PDT 2007

Hi Esther. Thanks for writing about this. What a great experience!

Did you note that the journalist (from Montreal's largest daily) who
wrote up the event, mentioned that the opening was in both official
languages? As an anglophone from Quebec, I'm sensitive to this issue -
it's political, and could have become a distraction, had I switched to
English only. Also, when that suggestion was made, I happened to be
facing one of the our visitors (not an organizer) and her face said it
all... I'm not sure she realised, but it looked like she'd bitten into a
lemon :-) Bilingualism isn't a big issue for some Montrealers, but it is
for others, perhaps particularly in academia.

So, we continued with the paragraph by paragraph translation. And it
dragged. Everyone felt it, myself included. Yes, I too want to pull yet
more out of that bilingual opening, get it to its essence. I believe it
took a half hour this time, as opposed to 40 minutes last time.

But is there another way? I'm visualizing Esther's suggestion of having
two circles, then joining them into one. It would have to be: inviting
the less language-sensitive group into the more language-sensitive
group, I think that would be most comfortable. Perhaps it could work,
with two facilitators, as we had. I guess it would need two spaces, too
(which we did have). I like the idea of then inviting the 2nd language
into a single circle. It's like a physical manifestation of the
linguistic reality in Montreal... it is both a French-speaking city and
an International city. This adds a step of explicit welcome, a signal
that now we are sharing the space in two languages. I'm still not sure
about two circles, but I think it's a good thing to think about...
perhaps it will spark another new idea, even.

I also think it could have helped to put some indication of language on
our name tags. Different coloured dots for unilingual English or French
participants would have allowed us to be more gracious, without their
constantly having to ask for help. Many times I launched into an
informal discussion in English, then had to ask: should I switch? Since
I'm able, I could have started in French or translated as I went, if I'd
known. People can be shy to interrupt and ask for translation,
especially when it happens over and over again in the course of 3 days.
Of course, using the stickers needs to be voluntary too.

I'm looking forward to input from others on this.
deb

--

Deborah Hartmann
Agile Process Coach