Question - bilingual opening

Communications Esther Matte ematte at excellence.ca
Thu May 24 05:28:59 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Yes, it was a great conference with Deb at Rococo. People there were
really impressed with OS. Hopefully, we'll gather a few people for
our FoFo in Val David this fall :-)

Deb and I learned a lot, of course, as we do every time we facilitate
OS. One of the questions we played with was the bilingual opening. We
briefly considered doing the opening together, each in one language,
but quickly realized we couldn't walk the circle together. So we cut
down on the opening text so that Deb could do it systematically in
both languages (French and English). And she did a great job!
However, it was still too long. Later in the event, people started to
ask that we do just English since everyone there understood. But we
were in Montreal after all, so Deb maintained the French, and the
organizers were happy about that. They wanted to hold a bilingual
event and they wanted the French to be present.

Now that I think about it, I'm wondering if we could have done two
circles just for the opening. To put people in the OS frame of mind
and spirit in their own language. Then, merge the 2 in 1 circle, have
them look around it, feel the energy and richness of knowledge,
experience, etc. and then start the agenda. For the other circles,
keep the bilingual format, but with bits of French here and there
instead of systematic translation.

What do you think?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts :-))

Esther