When is Open Space Not Open Space -- Toronto Events

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Mar 5 22:02:13 PST 2007

Hey Sheila...

I've spent a fair few years trying to correct the misconception that was
spread in that little federal government book about Open Space.  One of the
key criticisms that folks within the federal government have about Open
Space is that it doesn't lead to action.  THis has largely been about the
way the process has been used with in the federal government and especially
within the Department of Indian Affairs.  The irony is that there are many
First Nations communities and First Nations facilitators familiar with and
using Open Space Technology and getting some good results with sustaining
action, but alas, my work in the federal government ended in 1999 and it
seems they don't use the process much anymore these days.

However, we've been using it in all kinds of BC provincial government
contexts since then - including fairly extensively in the child and familiy
service world around BC - and I am just about to start working with a
national Aboriginal organization who is looking at using it as their basic
operating system, because it gets things done.

At any rate, good to see you on the list Sheila!

Chris

On 3/5/07, Sheila Beauchemin <s.beauchemin at shaw.ca> wrote:

>  Thanks for all the responses to this question.  Following on Larry's
> point, "Open Space" was included in a handbook produced by the federal
> government that includes short discussions of a number of facilitation
> techniques for dealing with a variety of issues.  The Open Space section is
> very cursory but since this handbook has received quite a wide distribution
> within the BC public service this may be causing some of the confusion.
>

> This dialogue has helped me feel confident enough to counter responses
> that are not true to what I know to be OST.
>

> Cheers, Sheila

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation
Open Space Technology