FW: Is whatever information present the right information??

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri Mar 16 04:47:43 PDT 2007

From: ingrid ebeling ebus [mailto:ie at institut-ebus.de]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 6:03 AM
To: hhowen at verizon.net
Subject: Re: Is whatever information present the right information??

Well Harrison, I was thinking of an Expert Story and pushed the wrong - may
be not - button.

Here it is: I was asked to facilitate an Open Space about "Money", it was
meant  about "Alternative Money"- two years ago. One Expert, a famous
professor, many books etc. was asked to join in. After a while I heard they
had engaged all together twelve experts, well known professors, banking
directors etc.

Since I saw no chance to change it, I made as facilitator a contract with
each of them:

1. each expert will bring in ten theses, maximum seven minutes

2. when I will open the Space they will be just part of the community

They struggled but accepted after all, this was in advance.

I started with vision work; the experts have been part of it and enjoyed it,
they survived giving their short input of ten theses – which was very hard
for them - and we got a wonderful patchwork theory.

After that I opened the space, the community created a rich agenda. But when
I opened the marked one person began to fight, “he just came for the expert
professor xy, etc
..”, more people fell in. I stepped back and let it go.

What happened, they organized a presentation of that professor for those who
were interested (80%) and found out all together how to deal with parallel
offers. Some of them took place.  All together they accepted their agenda
and we had a wonderful three days Open Space on alternative money.

That it was, Harrison, what you could not see. I am not sure whether it is
an answer to Búi, but it is a story anyway.

Ingrid

EBUS Institut für Entwicklungsberatung und Supervision

Ingrid Ebeling • Am Alten Gehäge 6 • D - 30 657 Hannover

Tel.: +49-511-336 03 30 • Fax: +49-511-336 03 47

e-mail: ie at institut-ebus.de •  <http://www.institut-ebus.de/>
http://www.institut-ebus.de