Self-organization and beyond

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Jun 18 13:05:30 PDT 2007

I've been lately spending a lot of time on planes, and when you fly a lot,
you become acutely aware that air is actually a fluid medium, just one a lot
less dense than water.  So, yes, we open space in water.

*blurb!*

Chris

On 6/18/07, Scott Willard <revscott_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ralph,
> This was a really good find.  Thanks for spelling out.
>
> If we go with the water principle then we may have to consider adding
> another principle to OST, "clothing is optional."  I'm not ready for that,
> yet;)
>
> *Ralph Copleman <rcopleman at comcast.net>* wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was paging through a book the other day called "Biomimicry" by Janine
> Benyus, a science journalist.  From the back cover: "She introduces the
> maverick researchers who are studying proteins to make blindingly fast
> computers, discovering new drugs by observing what animals eat, and more."
>
> Benyus identifies four "tricks of the trade" that nature employs when
> making things.  The third one is "self-assembly".  That sounded to me a lot
> like self-organization, and since I'm always on the lookout for analogies to
> open space, I took a further look...
>

>    1. ...nature's first trick of the trade is that nature manufactures
>    its materials under life-friendly conditions – in water, at room
>    temperature, without harsh chemicals or high pressures."  She's reflecting
>    on the difference between nature and human industrial processes, but as I
>    read between these lines with OS in mind, this was interesting.
>    2. ..."ordered hierarchical structures" - by this she does NOT mean
>    organizational pyramids.  She's referring to the added strength that comes
>    from having multiple, connected bands of materials, as in steel bridge
>    cables or human muscles and tendons.  These items are extra strong and
>    resilient because they are many similar parts joined in function rather than
>    one solid piece.  Think: humans sitting in a circle to address the same
>    theme.
>    3. ...self-assembly – nature "grows its materials from the ground
>    up, not by building but by self-assembling."  Sounds like every OS meeting
>    I've ever seen.
>    4. "...the ability to customize materials through the use of
>    templates" – She says most human industrial processes are "heat, beat, and
>    treat" in their primary methodology and produce a lot of waste material.
>     "...nature makes only what she wants and when she wants.  No waste on the
>    cutting room floor."
>

> This fourth one intrigues me.  It sounds like the community market place
> to me and recalls to mind how every posted topic in an OS gathering
> contributes something important to the overall collective consciousness and
> ultimate sense of the meeting that is a form of final product.  No waste at
> all.
>
> I've always believed OS is the closest thing we have to humans behaving in
> harmony with nature and evolution.  Now I'm more convinced then ever.
>
> The only thing is that bit in the first item, where it implies nature
> produces everything in water.  Does this mean we only open space in lakes or
> pools from now on?
>
> Ralph Copleman

> [...]

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com