Self-organization and beyond

Scott Willard revscott_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 12:52:53 PDT 2007

Ralph,
  This was a really good find.  Thanks for spelling out.

  If we go with the water principle then we may have to consider adding another principle to OST, "clothing is optional."  I'm not ready for that, yet;)

Ralph Copleman <rcopleman at comcast.net> wrote:
  Hi,

I was paging through a book the other day called “Biomimicry” by Janine Benyus, a science journalist.  From the back cover: “She introduces the maverick researchers who are studying proteins to make blindingly fast computers, discovering new drugs by observing what animals eat, and more.”

Benyus identifies four “tricks of the trade” that nature employs when making things.  The third one is “self-assembly”.  That sounded to me a lot like self-organization, and since I’m always on the lookout for analogies to open space, I took a further look...

   ...nature’s first trick of the trade is that nature manufactures its materials under life-friendly conditions – in water, at room temperature, without harsh chemicals or high pressures.”  She’s reflecting on the difference between nature and human industrial processes, but as I read between these lines with OS in mind, this was interesting.
   ...”ordered hierarchical structures” - by this she does NOT mean organizational pyramids.  She’s referring to the added strength that comes from having multiple, connected bands of materials, as in steel bridge cables or human muscles and tendons.  These items are extra strong and resilient because they are many similar parts joined in function rather than one solid piece.  Think: humans sitting in a circle to address the same theme.
   ...self-assembly – nature “grows its materials from the ground up, not by building but by self-assembling.”  Sounds like every OS meeting I’ve ever seen.
   “...the ability to customize materials through the use of templates” – She says most human industrial processes are “heat, beat, and treat” in their primary methodology and produce a lot of waste material.  “...nature makes only what she wants and when she wants.  No waste on the cutting room floor.”

This fourth one intrigues me.  It sounds like the community market place to me and recalls to mind how every posted topic in an OS gathering contributes something important to the overall collective consciousness and ultimate sense of the meeting that is a form of final product.  No waste at all.

I’ve always believed OS is the closest thing we have to humans behaving in harmony with nature and evolution.  Now I’m more convinced then ever.

The only thing is that bit in the first item, where it implies nature produces everything in water.  Does this mean we only open space in lakes or pools from now on?

Ralph Copleman

* * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

Scott Willard
Affinity Consulting Group
affinity-scottwillard.com