Self-organization and beyond

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Mon Jun 18 06:15:30 PDT 2007

Hi,

I was paging through a book the other day called ³Biomimicry² by Janine
Benyus, a science journalist.  From the back cover: ³She introduces the
maverick researchers who are studying proteins to make blindingly fast
computers, discovering new drugs by observing what animals eat, and more.²

Benyus identifies four ³tricks of the trade² that nature employs when making
things.  The third one is ³self-assembly².  That sounded to me a lot like
self-organization, and since I¹m always on the lookout for analogies to open
space, I took a further look...

1. ...nature¹s first trick of the trade is that nature manufactures its
materials under life-friendly conditions ­ in water, at room temperature,
without harsh chemicals or high pressures.²  She¹s reflecting on the
difference between nature and human industrial processes, but as I read
between these lines with OS in mind, this was interesting.
2. ...²ordered hierarchical structures² - by this she does NOT mean
organizational pyramids.  She¹s referring to the added strength that comes
from having multiple, connected bands of materials, as in steel bridge
cables or human muscles and tendons.  These items are extra strong and
resilient because they are many similar parts joined in function rather than
one solid piece.  Think: humans sitting in a circle to address the same
theme.
3. ...self-assembly ­ nature ³grows its materials from the ground up, not by
building but by self-assembling.²  Sounds like every OS meeting I¹ve ever
seen.
4. ³...the ability to customize materials through the use of templates² ­
She says most human industrial processes are ³heat, beat, and treat² in
their primary methodology and produce a lot of waste material.  ³...nature
makes only what she wants and when she wants.  No waste on the cutting room
floor.²

This fourth one intrigues me.  It sounds like the community market place to
me and recalls to mind how every posted topic in an OS gathering contributes
something important to the overall collective consciousness and ultimate
sense of the meeting that is a form of final product.  No waste at all.

I¹ve always believed OS is the closest thing we have to humans behaving in
harmony with nature and evolution.  Now I¹m more convinced then ever.

The only thing is that bit in the first item, where it implies nature
produces everything in water.  Does this mean we only open space in lakes or
pools from now on?

Ralph Copleman