Brief OST sessions

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Jul 24 05:52:09 PDT 2007

Irv - Rule of thumb is that One Day will get the issues on the table, two
days will take you deeper, and for another half day you can leave with a
plan for action and folks lined up to move. But that is just a rule of
thumb. Major considerations so far as I am concerned are the complexity and
conflict (potential or actual) present in the situation. Personally I have
never seen a watershed project that didn't have lots of both (complexity and
conflict) - and if that is true in your situation, two days would be an
absolute minimum. Another consideration that would be very important for me
is to make maximum effort to invite everybody who might care about that
watershed. That could be a lot of people, and probably more than the
membership of your community organization - but it would insure that all
voices are heard, thereby raising the probability of long term success. This
is one situation where "more" is definitely better. If you were to follow
this suggestion, you are likely to end up with a number of people who don't
know each other very well. That in itself would argue for more time (2 days)

Harrison

  _____