Brief OST sessions

Irv Sheffey irv.sheffey at sierraclub.org
Mon Jul 23 16:04:27 PDT 2007

Hey folks,

I'm preparing to hold an Open Space session in early September to address
the future direction of a community organization engaged in restoring a
local river and its watershed.  I'm new to OST, this will be my first time
facilitating a session, and I've got a couple a questions.  The sponsor has
proposed that the session be one day and we expect approximately 40-50
participants. I'm aware that OST can be done in a variety of timeframes, but
in your experienced, considered opinions -is this enough time to effectively
address an issue such as the one I've described.  I'd like to propose at
least a two day session and I may have some leeway with the sponsor on this.
If we find ourselves limited to one day, does anyone have any suggestions on
making it as effective as possible?

I don't expect a formulaic answer, since that's somewhat counter to OST, but
your thoughts would be helpful

Thanx!

Irv